Saturday, January 12

To Homeschool?

On Thursday we all took a tour of the local Catholic school. We had dropped off an application for Clare in January and wanted to take a look at everything.

The school was very nice. I loved seeing the little children and hearing about the Pre-K program and even the elementary school. By the upper grades I was feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the extras they set up for the kids - languages, sports teams, electives, smart boards, the lot. (Not that these things are bad - but I'm only at the place of thinking about my 3 year old)

Several times the nice admissions lady told us that they had a very large applicant pool for Pre-K, and Clare's application came very close to the end (Note: I tried to get in touch with the school in the fall but through a series of mistakes on their end and mine it didn't work out). Basically, I think she was telling us that it is unlikely that Clare will get in.

Here's the somewhat odd thing - the tour of the school made me feel much more comfortable with the idea of homeschooling. I think after seeing the Pre-K program, I felt more confident in my teaching abilities.

So the way I see it - it's in God's hands. If she's gets in - that's where she's supposed to be, and if not - then I was meant to homeschool anyway. It's exciting either way, and I don't feel like I have to be the one to make the decision.

3 comments:

Jen said...

God will show you the way. If you feel a call in your heart to homeschool, He will clear a path. We had my oldest in a Catholic school when she initally started Kindergarten. I was completed terrified of the idea of homeschooling, and with my oldest being five and another baby on the way, I thought we just weren't a "homeschooling" family. I had the same sort of thoughts you did when my daughter started school. The one thing my daughter did not like about school is the fact that she got mingled up with the older kids. It scared her. I had the principal walk her to classes for the first week, but she still was scared. We had a friend walk with her. Still scared. Then, I was put on bedrest a month and a half into the first quarter, and we've been homeschooling every since. I still struggle with it. Some days I would love to put them all in Catholic school, but I know, deep in my heart, it is not His will. You will do a great job, whether it is school out of the house, or school in the home. Might I suggest reading Elizabeth Foss' book "Real Learning"? It is a gem of a book, and a must read for any family thinking of homeschooling. You can just google Real Learning and the website to order it on will come up. God Bless!

Alexis said...

You all will be moving soon, right? She'd have to change schools after a year anyway?

Christine said...

Alexis - yes, we will be moving in a year, that's one of the reasons I'm not too worried about our decision now.

Jen - I own Real Learning - it's on my bookshelf - I should probably pull it down and read it now