One of the things I have enjoyed most about this reading project is how much there is to learn about everything. From ancient Egypt and Greece, to current day situations in the Middle East, I realize more and more the paucity of my historical knowledge.
The 1960's are no exception in this. And Malcolm X? I knew he was black and maybe a figure for black supremacy. I'm not sure I had even connected him with black rights' figures like Martin Luther King.
Manning Marable's Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention was an eye opener. It extensively covers Malcolm X's life. I never seriously considered the historical baggage that simple comes with being born an African American. Or the ways the American government has failed them as a people. (This isn't the author's point, it is a conclusion I have drawn). Or some of the crazy religious sects out there - the Nation of Islam for example.
*Some commentors on Amazon insist that Marable has pulled up alot of gossip, innuendos, and changed the real meaning of the man, and some acclaim the author.
No comments:
Post a Comment