Thursday, January 12

Book #4 - Catherine the Great


I feel like I've been traveling Europe in my readings, from Greece to Germany.  In this last book not only did I get to "visit" France, Austria, England and Prussia, but Russia as well.

Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, by Robert K. Massie is delightful.  At the very end of the book Massie writes:

"I must acknowledge the extraordinary pleasure I have had in the company of the remarkable woman who has been my subject.  After eight years of having her a constant presence in my life, I shall miss her."

This pleasure in his subject shines through the book.  It felt like I was reading a fairy tale with a brave, struggling heroine.  In the second half the heroine is now an empress and sometimes takes on aspects of a wicked stepmother.  It is hard to dislike Catherine even at her most petty, controlling or power hungry.  Overall, she appears to have desired to be a worthy empress and do the best for her beloved Russia.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read, and am looking forward to reading other works by Massie.

No comments: