This is book #26! That means I'm half way through my 52 book project. Of course it is still May, so I may add more books at the end.
So far I have really enjoyed it, it is a real treat to discover authors and topics. Sometimes it doesn't quite pan out, but other books are like finding hidden treasures. This one is awesome!
Rock the Casbah: Rage and Rebellion Across the Islamic World by Robin Wright, is about the counter-jihad in Islamic countries. I burned through the book in 4 days, it was so interesting. I am very ignorant on the topic of Islam and especially the countries in the Islamic world.
Wright covers the ways in which the citizens of these countries are tired of extremism, and how they are fighting back against their governments. With many of her topics, they would jog a faint memory in my mind...."oh yeah, I faintly recall seeing something about that revolution in that country on Drudge, or the issues in that country in some one's facebook post" but I didn't delve into them.
I really enjoyed learning more about Islam, hejab (modest Muslim dress), and many other topics. I didn't realize the power of comedy, rap, feminism, movies, or facebook either. When I read about how facebook helped people in Egypt, Tunisia, and other countries stand up to their governments peacefully, I wanted to kiss Mark Zuckerberg for starting it. This book certainly opened my eyes to what is going on (for good) in many countries of the world, which has nothing to do with American/western ideology or Islamic extremism. I highly recommend it!

No comments:
Post a Comment