Monday, April 23

Book #22 - Endgame

Sometimes I want to read about something that I know nothing about, or perhaps only have a cursory knowledge of.  Generally, I don't know where to start or if a topic will be satisfying.

Endgame: Bobby Fischer's Remarkable Rise and Fall --from America's Brightest Prodigy to the Edge of Madness by Frank Brady seemed to be a great place to start for a casual knowledge of chess, and a great history of the game.  It has a compelling narrative.  Bobby Fischer was a fascinating if crazy person.  Brady also supplies the reader with plenty of information if one has a desire to learn more and delve into the game.


I'm not planning on playing Chess competitively any time soon, but I do want my children to all play.  While I believe they are a little young for the royal game, this book has sparked a board game playing frenzy in our house of checkers and some other games.  And I feel like I have found a very satisfying book.

image credit: goodreads.com

No comments: