Today is the feast of the Baptism of Jesus. I love this feast. Last year this was the feast that Gregory was baptised on.It amazes me that Jesus would not only take on our humanity, but also our sins upon himself. He was pure and sinless, and yet he comes to be baptised. He does not need to be cleansed but we do, and so in solidarity with our fallen nature he asks to be baptized by John.
I love John's humility and awe at the situation.
Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.John tried to prevent him, saying,“I need to be baptized by you,and yet you are coming to me?”Jesus said to him in reply,“Allow it now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Mt 3: 13-15
Of course John fulfills the Lord's request. May we always be willing to do what the Lord asks of us, even if we feel unworthy. And in doing His Will may we one day hear the Lord say to us:
“This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Mt 3:17
1 comment:
What a lovely post. Thank you!
Post a Comment