Monday, March 5

Book #14 - Steve Jobs

As you can see in the picture, my latest read is a very big book.  Steve Jobs by Walter Issacson has taken me longer to get through than any other book so far this year.

While the piece is very well written, I guess I just am not really that interested in Steve Jobs.  Perhaps I'm also not that interested in the production of computers, or their companies.  Jobs had a very intense personality and for most of the work I didn't like him.  Fascinating, yes....likeable, not so much. On pg 520(ish) of the 570 page book, he finally did something I approved of - he decided not to allow porn apps on the iPad.

I also felt bogged down by all of the technology and company talk.  I enjoyed reading the parts about Jobs' relationships.  Since this wasn't his strong suit, there really wasn't that much to keep my attention.  Not surprisingly, I found the chapters on technology I own and the ones on Pixar more entertaining than the rest.

John also read this book.  He flew through it compared to me.  It shows me how differently our minds work.  He enjoyed discovering how Jobs made companies work, how he got financing, and his organization management skills or lack thereof.   

It was nice sharing a work with him since we usually don't read the same things.  He joked that next time I should make sure I'm interested in the subject before I commit to reading such a long book.

No comments: