Wednesday, June 27

Book #32 - An Atlas of Impossible Longing

This book was in the Washington Post's Top 5 Works of Notable Fiction of 2011.  An Atlas of Impossible Longing by Anuradha Roy may live up to it.  I'm not sure of my opinion yet.  I enjoyed the prose and the plot up to the last few chapters. 

 


The novel is a multigenerational story broken into 3 sections/generations.  Set in a small town in India, the family is set apart in their large house except for a connection with the British woman in the villa across the street.  I found parts of it reminscient of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, and over all a tender, sad story. 

There are so many 'impossible longings' in the book, in the hearts of each of the characters. There are things they do not understand, human frailities, and messes that they create. 

Their wistfulness reminded me of universal human longing for God and the famous quote of St. Augustine - "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."

I was a bit saddened by the end of the book,  the issues worked out a little too well to be believable in my opinion.  To have been a better story, the choices made should have held their consequences instead of being easily swept aside in the name of a 'grand and true' love.  In real life it usually isn't so simple, but pragmatically maybe that doesn't sell as many copies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am Marcena's mom over at Cold Anchor Farm. I checked out your blog after you commented on Cena's last post. Your family is adorable! I noticed that you mention reading books. I have been reading books lately by Michael O'Brien. Just in the last few months I read Theophilus, Island of the World and A Father's Tale. They are such awesome books and I wondered if you have read them. They're pretty long books but when they are over I miss them so much! I am a changed person because of these books! In a good way, I hope. I looked up Evelyn Waugh after you mentioned reading Brideshead Revisited. I was shocked to see that Evelyn Waugh is a man! How did you like the book? I haven't read anything he's written. My goodness, when do you find time to read?

God bless,
Marcelle