Charlotte's Web by E. B. White is one of the most famous and beloved chidren's novels. My own children love it, and John and I both enjoyed it growing up.
Knowing this, I was excited to read The Story of Charlotte's Web by Michael Sims. Sims writes a warm biography of E. B. White. It is a comforting read. One feels as if he has returned to a simpler age (even though, I'm sure New York City was never simple, sleepy or quiet), meeting a writer who was extremely intelligent and gentle.
It's nice to know that White struggled with making his writing perfect. He was also an introvert who hating speaking in front of groups of people - I could definitely relate. You can see alot of him in Fern from Charlotte's Web.
I loved this quote from White:
I write largely for myself and am content to believe that what is good enough for me is good enough for a youngster (229)
Sometimes, it's nice to read a book about an ordinary person, who lived a very normal life and wanted no more than that. And in that, he produced wonderful children's books.

No comments:
Post a Comment