Wednesday, January 25

Book #6 - River of Smoke

I have finally found my way into the realm of fiction, and a very good beginning it was too.

River of Smoke by Amitav Ghosh, was the only book whose title and author I recognized on the notable book lists.  Last summer I read Ghosh's Sea of Poppies which is the first in a triology.  I was very excited to find River of Smoke in the paper and also (finally) at my library.

River of Smoke may be historical fiction, but is beautifully researched.  The book focuses on the opium trade in Canton, China around 1840.  At this point in history, the British and others are bringing thousands of pounds of opium to China.  The Chinese government has decided to stop the import.  What follows is story of the tensions of the ship owners and those around them.

The last 100 pages of the book are gripping when the English merchants are trying to decide whether or not to obey the Emperor and stop smuggling opium.  They claim that the Emperor should have no power over a "free market," despite the evils inherent with the smoking of opium.  The author includes 2 real letters from the time period and has drawn many of the characters in the book from their own documents.

There is also a interesting subplot tied in concerning botany and chinese flowers.  I never realized how many beautiful flowers have their origins in China.

This is historical fiction at it's finest, and an enjoyable read.

One warning:  the author really likes dialect.  I have found this somewhat overwhelming in the beginning both of his books, since he is usually has at least 5 dialects he is working with.  One of the reviews cites his "appetite for polyphony."

No comments: