Monday, April 30

Book #23 - Swamplandia!

After reading the book about snakes, a work of fiction caught my eye - Swamplandia! by Karen Russell.  I was intrigued and repulsed at the same time.  Set in Florida, Swamplandia! is the story of the Bigtree family and their alligator wrestling theme park.  It is a tragedy with a happy ending.

Ava, the main character basically sums up the plot with this quote in the exposition:

"I didn't realize that one tragedy can beget another, and another -- bright-eyed disasters flooding out of a death hole like bats out of a cave." (7)

While reading it, I seemed to find a Dante-esque theme of traveling deeper and deeper into Hell.  One of the characters finds a job working in another theme park called "the world of darkness" which is supposed to be hell inspired.  Then Ava sets out on a journey to the underworld to find her sister who has eloped with a ghost.  Each of the characters has a climax of horror in the book. 

And also like Dante, they come out of hell at the end and find heaven - or at least reality, happiness, and family - "When my father stepped forward it didn't matter that we were nowhere near our island.  All of us, the four of us--the five if you counted Mom inside us--we were home.  We were a family again, a love that made the roomiest privacy that I have ever occupied" (312).

While this was one of the strangest books I have read, (have you ever read a book with alligators, alligator wrestling, ouija boards, theme parks, casinos, and swamp legends?) it is also strangely satisfying.  The writer has a gift for prose and story telling, I was pleasantly surprised with the whole thing.

No comments: